When someone is battling cancer, his or her loved ones may feel helpless, as they want to guide their family member or friend through the ordeal but often don’t quite know exactly what the person needs. Lending a listening ear, providing day-to-day help with household chores and cooking meals are all good ways for supporters to step up to the plate. Care packages for cancer patients are another means of showing your love and support.
Assembling an assortment of day-to-day items patients may need—plus some extras just to make them smile!—shows them you understand how much their daily routine has been transformed by the diagnosis. And since care packages for cancer patients can be delivered in person, brought to a healthcare facility or shipped anywhere in the world, you can be there for your loved one, whether the patient lives next door or several states away.
Here are a few of the most common items that supporters incorporate into care packages for cancer patients:
- Water and snacks: Chemotherapy and other treatments can dehydrate the body, so it’s important for patients to stay hydrated during their sessions. Such treatments can be time-consuming, so loading them up with healthy snacks can help pass the time and satisfy cravings.
- Warm blankets: Hospitals are notoriously chilly, so gift your loved one a warm blanket, fuzzy socks or a comfy sweatshirt for their visits.
- Headgear: Hair loss is an unfortunate side effect of treatments like chemo, so care packages for cancer patients undergoing this therapy may include an assortment of hats and scarves. Pick colors the patient likes and opt for caps that show their interests, such as in sports teams.
- Moisturizers: Cancer treatment can dry the skin dramatically, which is why many patients are in need of lip and body moisturizers.
- Supply bag: Many patients have to travel with a large supply of cancer-related items, such as medications, so they may be able to use a carrying bag to keep everything neat and organized.
- Entertainment: Both outpatient and inpatient cancer treatments can involve lots of sitting and waiting, so patients may need something to keep themselves energized and optimistic. Pull together their favorite books and magazines, and load up an iPod with upbeat songs.
- Sentimental: Use your care package to show your loved one what he or she means to you. Include pictures, handwritten letters, and cards of support that they can rely on to bring their spirits up.
Life Credit’s Living Benefit Loans can be used to help with the indirect costs of cancer and unexpected out-of-pocket expenses that result from cancer or other serious illnesses. Find out if you qualify to borrow from the value of your life insurance policy’s death benefit, contact a Life Credit representative today at 1-888-274-1777.