Diet is an important aspect of any healthy lifestyle, especially for folks recently diagnosed with cancer. Eating the correct balance of vitamins and nutrients during and after treatment can help you to feel better and to become stronger and more energetic.
Here are several tips on the proper nutrition for cancer patients:
- Your body relies on vital proteins for tissue repair, growth, and a healthy immune system. When your body doesn’t get enough protein, it may start breaking down muscle for the fuel it needs, resulting in longer recovery periods after surgery. Folks dealing with cancer often need more protein than normal to stay healthy. Good sources of protein to consider include lean red meats, eggs, nuts, low-fat dairy items, soy foods, and fish.
- Though many people try to cut carbohydrates when dieting, they are a major source of energy for ill people. Carbs give your body the fuel it needs for physical activity and proper organ function, both of which are important for a speedy recovery after surgery or chemo. The best source of carbs is whole grains such as cereals, breads, and flour, as well as corn, peas, and beans.
- The right kinds of fats can be very nutritious for and help cancer patients. They are a rich source of energy for the body and aid in insulating body tissue and transporting vitamins through the blood. The right kinds of fats you should be consuming are monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats. Monounsaturated are found in veggie oils like olive and canola while polyunsaturated are in sunflower, corn, and flaxseed oils.
- Getting the right amount of hydration is crucial for cancer patients before, during, and after treatment. The body needs water to function correctly and if you don’t get enough fluids, you can become dehydrated. Drink a minimum of eight full glasses of water daily.
Benefits of Good Nutrition for Cancer Patients
- Feeling better
- Stronger tolerance to treatment-related side effects
- Lowered risk of infection
- Faster recovery time
Life Credit is on your side when you need us the most. We have supplied thousands of cancer patients with the financing they need during this difficult time. If you need our help or would like to learn more about our financial services, call us today.