Among the most startling statistics about prostate cancer is that one in nine men will be diagnosed with the disease at some point in their lives. That’s a significant risk, one that is at the heart of Prostate Cancer Awareness Month. The occasion is marked every September as a way to encourage education about prostate cancer, its risks, and prevention methods. Cancer activists and advocates join to observe Prostate Cancer Awareness Month in an effort to honor those who’ve been lost to the disease, those who have survived, and the many men who are battling it each day.
Stay Informed During Prostate Cancer Awareness Month
- While this cancer can affect any man, older men are much more at risk; about 60% of new diagnoses are among men who are over 65. African American men are also at a higher risk.
- The prognosis for most men is generally good; more than 3 million American men are currently survivors of prostate cancer. However, it can progress to be life-threatening in some cases. After lung cancer, it is the most common cancer to kill men in the United States.
- Family history of prostate cancer and genetic mutations, such as the inherited BRCA1 and 2 genes, are thought to increase the risk for prostate cancer. Smoking, obesity, and poor diet have also been shown to have an effect on the development of the cancer.
- Prevention strategies typically include diets low in dairy consumption, efforts to maintain a healthy weight, and high physical activity.
- Symptoms include trouble urinating, blood in the urine, lower-body pain, leg and foot numbness, loss of bladder control, and erectile dysfunction.
When caught early, prostate cancer has a high survival rate, which is why it’s especially important for men, especially as they age, to have prostate screenings. To support Prostate Cancer Awareness Month, share these facts with the men in your life and urge them to make screenings a regular part of their healthcare.
A Life Credit Company’s Living Benefit Loan Can Help You.
A Life Credit Living Benefit Loan helps you to get the money you need when you need it most. Learn how to borrow from your life insurance policy through our simple loan process.